Friday, October 19, 2007

Freedom Town


Trekking along in Nouahdibou in the North of Mauritania. This city serves as a transit point for Europeans who travel over land to West Africa, as well as, illegal immigrants trying to go to Europe. Although Mauritania is an Islamic Republic, Nouahdibou has regular bars, and an abundance of prostitutes. The climate is ideal for "audacious" tourists (meaning those who think going to Africa is daring and bold) and the beach is close. Many volunteers placed there find it luxurious because of all the amenities (electricity, alcohol, sinks, toilets, cold sodas). I must admit in the beginning I was envious, but in my village I have learned how to do and deal when one doesn't have. Besides, what's the use of living in an under-developed country with all the amenities of the States? THe Nouahdibou volunteers have different experiences. I find they are not as integrated into the community and barely speak a local or national language. Contrarily, village volunteers are much more integrated and can speak either one or both of the national/local languages. For me, I rather learn and work through the sometimes unbearable frustrations of living in a village than have the easy, complaisant and unchallenged city living in Mauritania. I must say, when I do get have access to the cold beers and air conditioned rooms, I appreciate them much more. I assume it depends on perspective.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Buenas noches

It is my first time here. I just wanted to say hi!