Tuesday, March 17, 2009

9 tuh 5

Damn, that's just what I needed. Since my return in August, I've applied to approximately 160 jobs. The industries ran the board from restaurant hostess to financial planner and building inspector. I applied to jobs in fields in which I had no experience. I dropped dimes to friends who dropped the same to me on places hiring. My homegirl pounded the pavement everyday, calling from locations, then, calling again 15 minutes later to report on the rapport of her interview. My brain swirled. I tried all types of shit. I worked at a restaurant, as a house inspector and freelance hotel reviewer. I busted open doors with dope fiends in the foreclosed homes which my team was supposed to secure. Property Preservation the banks called it. My last resort was Duane Reade but I never did it to myself. Hell naw, I thought, I ain't going out like that.
But I was willing to do some shit other people wouldn't work hard for. Half the people I knew weren't working. Shit, the economy was and still is twisted. Finding a job boiled down to inner hustle. I searched everyday; I mass e-mailed on craigslist and Yahoo. Monster was bullshit but for 7 months I used every avenue I could to find a 9 to 5. I've never had one so I was excited to find a steady job with a regular check. I mean, I'm 24 and I really want some expendable cash to kickit. My finding a job was critical to that goal. The inner hustle came and my voracious drive kicked the do'(door) in! Holla!!! After 7 months of searching, my "dream" came true. I just know I'll be getting a steady check to fuck of with! The doubt tho, the doubt.
Was it really what I was looking for? Do I want to live my life in an everlasting Office Space? I don't know. I can say this: this job vapidly sucks the intellect out of me . I mean the tasks require absolutely no critical thought. They are simple and mechanical and repetitive. Good for those into daydreaming and fucking off their money on drunk weekends and gadgets (e.g. me) or for writing and blogging (there I am again).

No comments: