Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Roommate Woes


This photo represents how I feel today: SIDEWAYZ. I took this about a month ago outside my building facing the ever-looming projects to the north and east of me. This is the project building to the east. But anywho, speaking of apartments and feeling sideways, let me update you on my circumstance of late. Currently, I’m not looking for a new apartment but I do need a roommate for my roommate’s room (if this makes any sense). If it doesn’t, well, lemme break it down to you. My roommate is leaving this summer to live at home. She is in Seminary school here in NYC and, upon learning that her loans would NOT cover her living in the apt during the summer, she decided to move into her parent’s house back in Orlando. I had a problem with this for several reasons…1) we all know those people who avoid confrontation like the plague. I think of them as avoiding challenge. I’m talking about the kind of person who shies from verbal and physical attacks, who does not stand up for oneself, who always prefers someone fight for him or her. If someone insults them to a deathly degree, they'll complain to you and cry instead of telling the insulter to "Eat my shit". They're the type of person to always say "yes" when they want to say "no" and be upset about it later, asking the question, "why do they want to take advantage of me?" They are also heavy users of the passive agressive tactics, e.g. slamming doors or playing their music really loud to make you wonder. They are those kind of people who are not necessarily fake, but you'll never know what they're really thinking. If you have read any of my previous blog entries, you will know that I’m NOT that kind of person. Not the total opposite; I don’t go looking for fights but I’m not running either. I stand up for myself. I'm not saying my roommate is all of these things either. She is a wonderful person with a wonderful heart (or else she wouldn't be my roommate). I mean, I got plenty of shit with me and most people can't put up with me, but she does, so THAT is to be lauded. Seriously.
Anyway, back to the subject. I wouldn’t call these kinds of people weak; on the contrary, I think it takes a lot of courage to be a punan (a pussy.) BUT, these kinds of people irritate me because they’re submissive. That’s kind of my roommate in a nutshell. So, when she was confronted with the prospect of having to work to pay rent this summer, she decides to bolt. No problem, I understand. Times are hard and $900 is a lot of money for one month. I could understand if she was unqualified to find a job, had already been struggling, or just loves to live with her parents. But she DOESN'T like living with her parents (she’s gay and cannot have women over and she’s 28 yrs old) and she’ll be away from her girlfriend the whole summer. I know she desperately wanted to live in the city but, instead of hustling to find a job, she took the easy way out (in my opinion). 2) Now, I must muster up some energy in finding a sub letter. My roommate has been extremely patient with me about our rent arrangements. I couldn’t find a job for a while so she sucked it up and let me pay her what I haven’t paid later. I am presently doing that and it’s working out fine. After all, I’m a hustler and hate owing people money. But, I do find this (me having to find a sub letter) somewhat problematic. My senior year in college, I decided to get away from my roommate and move into my own place. Because I knew I was moving before our lease expired, I hustled to find someone in a short time and, I did. I found a sub letter for my room until the lease was to be renewed. My ex-roommate was pissed that I had not included her in the process but I felt that it was my responsibility because I was moving before our lease was up. I’ve heard different opinions about this but I feel like I did the right thing. I know Karma’s a bitch so I’m not in the business of fucking people over. With that being said, my current roommate, I feel, has the responsibility of finding a new sub letter for her room because she is moving before the lease is up. But I know, for a fact, that her meekness is preventing her from being tenacious in a city (we live in NYC) that demands it. It will be a lot of work and a little heartache but not impossible. I think she’s just taking the easy road, once again, and running from confrontation. Maybe I’m just tripping but I don’t think so. I hope not anyway…I just needed to vent my good friend.

No comments: